BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Search for File

2011-09-28 10:40:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Search for File
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 10:30:18 -0400
Gerald Brandt <gbr AT majentis DOT com> wrote on 09/28/2011 10:15:12 AM:

> I need to search for a specific file on a host, via backuppc.  Is
> there a way to search a host backup, so I don't have to manually go
> through all directories via the web interface?

The easiest, most direct way of doing that would be:

cd /path/to/host/pc/directory
find . | grep "f<filename>"

I'm sure someone with more shell-fu will give you a much better command line (and I look forward to learning something!).  I'm sure there's a way to do it simply with the find command alone, but I've had limited success trying to limit the find command to find specific files.  For me, it's easier to use grep as above.  My way will work, if a bit slowly:  there's lots of files in there...

Don't forget the leading f in the filename:  BackupPC puts an f in front of every filename in the directory structure.

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com