BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How does BackupPC rsync over ssh work?

2011-09-26 09:02:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How does BackupPC rsync over ssh work?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 09:00:03 -0400
maarten AT tepaske DOT net wrote at about 10:29:16 +0200 on Monday, September
26, 2011 > So I am currently writing some scripts for my backup needs. Which
made
 > me wonder, BackupPC essentially starts a backup like this:
 >
 > /usr/bin/ssh -4 -q -l backuppc <host> sudo /usr/bin/rsync --server --sender
 > --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --hard-links --times
 > --block-size=2048 --recursive . <directory>
 >
 > But how does this really work? I understand rsync starts in server mode
 > on the host that is to be backed up, but I don't see a rsync process
 > being started on the BackupPC server.

Well remember that BackupPC uses it's own perl-based client version of
rsync 'perl-File-RsyncP' which implements a subset of rsync
functionality and interfaces with the rsync client.

The line you quote above ssh's into the remote client and starts up a
rsync process there. But of course that ssh line doesn't start the
local rsync process that you need to communicate with the remote
process.

If you are trying to run rsync standalone over ssh without using
BackupPC, then you should invoke rsync over ssh the *normal* way which
starts up the process locally and then uses ssh to start the remote
rsync process.

Specifically, if you want all the same flags as BackupPC uses, try
something like:

sudo /usr/bin/rsync --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links
--hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive

But this is really just standard rsync usage. Also, manually setting
the block-size doesn't make sense if not using BackupPC (where it's
set that way for checksum caching and actually ignored) since the
automatic default setting will generally be more efficient. There may
be other options you want to add or delete.

But this has nothing really to do with BackupPC...