BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Linux backups with rsync vs tar

2011-09-02 14:39:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Linux backups with rsync vs tar
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 14:37:31 -0400
Timothy J Massey wrote at about 10:43:37 -0400 on Friday, September 2, 2011:

 > Your old backups should be 100% fine.  They will remain in the pool just
 > fine, etc.  I do not believe that files transferred by rsync will pool
 > with files transferred by tar (due to the attribute issue you mention);
 > however, for you that's a moot point:  90% of your files don't pool,
 > anyway.

Why do you think they won't pool?
Pooling is based on file *content*. "Attributes" are stored in
separate 'attrib' files. Even so I'm not sure why the basic file
attributes would be different between rsync and tar -- but even if
they do it would only mean that the attrib files wouldn't pool with
old attrib files and that's typically a small proportion of the pool
by volume.

The only issue I can imagine is with rsync checksums. I'm not sure
what happens with such files when you move from rsync to tar. I would
hope that it would still pool them properly either by ignoring or
deleting the checksums at the end of the file. Again, the actual file
contents (which don't include the checksums obviously) are the same
between rsync and tar.

 > This is not a *bad* thing.  Every single one of my backup servers is based
 > on BackupPC, and all but maybe 2 shares are backed up using rsync.  (The
 > only exceptions I can think of are where I'm backing up data on a NAS, and
 > I can't or won't run rsyncd on the NAS so I have to use SMB).  Whether
 > it's an advantage or disadvantage, that's the setup I use.  I vastly
 > prefer consistency over performance.  But I can live with 8 hour backup
 > windows.

Why not run rsyncd on a NAS? It works fine and is reasonably fast even
on low end arm-based devices with minimal memory (e.g., 64MB).