BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Migration/merge BPC hosts questions

2011-08-11 12:48:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Migration/merge BPC hosts questions
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 11:46:55 -0500
On 8/11/2011 11:03 AM, ft oppi wrote:

>     He can do this on a per-host basis under pc.  Doing each separately is
>     likely to work in a reasonable amount of time with rsync (with -H) or
>     tar.  It won't make the links to pool between different hosts but that
>     shouldn't matter on a de-duped zfs.
>

> That's what I planned. I can copy a couple of hosts per day, it takes
> time but not much attention. It's even scriptable.
>
> Now as Jeffrey said, plain tar will use a lot more bandwidth than
> BackupPC_tarPCCopy once the pool is copied. But what about the time it
> takes to generate the archive ?
> I mean, if BackupPC_tarPCCopy creates its archive as fast as plain tar
> transfers the data, it's so much better (maybe less write I/O on the new
> server?).

The catch is that you cannot have any changes between the time you rsync
the pool and complete the BackupPC_tarPCCopy.  But, you might be able to
do a preliminary rsync of the pool ahead of time, and then running it
again with '--delete' for the cutover should go quickly.

> I think I'll have to try some "tar > /dev/null" and "BackupPC_tarPCCopy
>  > /dev/null" to exclude bandwidth from the equation.

Note that gnutar will notice if you have redirected to /dev/null and not
bother to read the input data files (a feature added to support quick
size estimates for amanda, I think).  Use ' -f - |cat >/dev/null' to get
a more realistic time.  But, I'd use rsync instead of tar if you are
going to do each host separately anyway.