BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Migration/merge BPC hosts questions

2011-08-11 11:13:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Migration/merge BPC hosts questions
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 10:11:32 -0500
On 8/11/2011 9:41 AM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:

>   >  It's basically the same process described in the wiki without:
>   >  1) pre-copying the pool (it would take ages, one of the server only has a
>   >  100Mbps internet connection)
>
> I'm confused, copying the pool is too slow yet you plan to "plain tar"
> the pc directory which may be 10's to 100's of times larger (do to
> pool deduplication)?

He can do this on a per-host basis under pc.  Doing each separately is
likely to work in a reasonable amount of time with rsync (with -H) or
tar.  It won't make the links to pool between different hosts but that
shouldn't matter on a de-duped zfs.

>   >  What would happen if I did that ?
>   >  Would BackupPC regenerate the pool over time (with new backups
>   >  coming in) ?
>
> A *new* pool would be generated based upon any new backups. Old files
> that exist only in the pc directory would obviously not be added to
> the pool. The backups copied over from the old pc directory would
> remain *unlinked*.

That's only for new/changed files within the new backups, at least with
rsync.  An unchanged file will just get a new link to the previous
version used for the comparison under the pc/host tree.