BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Migration/merge BPC hosts questions

2011-08-11 12:05:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Migration/merge BPC hosts questions
From: ft oppi <ft.lists AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 18:03:35 +0200
2011/8/11 Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
On 8/11/2011 9:41 AM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:

>   >  It's basically the same process described in the wiki without:
>   >  1) pre-copying the pool (it would take ages, one of the server only has a
>   >  100Mbps internet connection)
>
> I'm confused, copying the pool is too slow yet you plan to "plain tar"
> the pc directory which may be 10's to 100's of times larger (do to
> pool deduplication)?

He can do this on a per-host basis under pc.  Doing each separately is
likely to work in a reasonable amount of time with rsync (with -H) or
tar.  It won't make the links to pool between different hosts but that
shouldn't matter on a de-duped zfs.

That's what I planned. I can copy a couple of hosts per day, it takes time but not much attention. It's even scriptable.

Now as Jeffrey said, plain tar will use a lot more bandwidth than BackupPC_tarPCCopy once the pool is copied. But what about the time it takes to generate the archive ?
I mean, if BackupPC_tarPCCopy creates its archive as fast as plain tar transfers the data, it's so much better (maybe less write I/O on the new server?).

I think I'll have to try some "tar > /dev/null" and "BackupPC_tarPCCopy > /dev/null" to exclude bandwidth from the equation.

Thanks for your answers :)

Fabrice