BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Can't do a backup

2011-07-29 21:36:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Can't do a backup
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Rory Toma <rory AT ooma DOT com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 03:33:06 +0200
Hi,

Rory Toma wrote on 2011-07-28 19:16:08 -0700 [[BackupPC-users] Can't do a
backup]:
> I just got the latest version today from sourceforge and got it up and
> running.
>
> Here is my client config, filled in from the web form:
>
> $Conf{TarShareName} = [
>   '/servers/mothership/data/home/Engineering/rory'
> ];
> $Conf{XferMethod} = 'tar';
> $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {
>   '.snapshot' => [
>     ''
>   ]
> };

you don't have a share named '.snapshot', and the pattern '' wouldn't match
any files to exclude anyway. You used the web configuration editor to
configure the host in question, and it's apparently easy to get that bit wrong
(I haven't tried it yet, but it's a frequent topic here). The first part you
need to fill out (where you put '.snapshot') is the *share name* (or the value
* to make it apply to any share with no explicit entry in BackupFilesExclude),
after that you can add patterns for excludes. As you're using tar, see the tar
manual page for what you can do. The only magic I believe BackupPC does is to
make patterns starting with '/' be anchored to the "transfer root", so if you
wanted to exclude a directory
/servers/mothership/data/home/Engineering/rory/tmp (but not other directories
named 'tmp' further down), you could specify '/tmp' as an exclude.

> Here is the error I get when trying to do a full backup, note that I can
> do the tar command by hand, and it spits everything out to stdout.

"No files dumped for share ..." means, well, that no files were dumped for the
share, which is in itself an error (unless configured not to be), so if your
tar command would work (successfully) on an empty directory, that error would
show up.

But I believe that is not the case here:

> Tar exited with error 65280 () status

That means the command returned a -1 exit code. You say you "can do the tar
command by hand" - by that you should mean running

        ssh -q -x -n -l root kanguru env LC_ALL=C /bin/gtar -c -v -f - -C
/servers/mothership/data/home/Engineering/root --totals .

from a shell as the backuppc user, correct? No extraneous output, no password
or "accept host key" prompt, no ssh-agent supplying credentials? Presuming you
can't parse the tar file it "spits out to stdout" (well, I couldn't), pipe the
above command to "tar tvvf -". What does that show?

> However, I don't see my BackupFilesExclude argument in the tar command,

Explained above.

> [...]
> What am I missing here?

It's not obvious from the output.