BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Different UID numbers for backuppc on 2 computers

2011-07-12 11:33:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Different UID numbers for backuppc on 2 computers
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 10:31:27 -0500
On 07/12 12:34 , Holger Parplies wrote:
> Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote on 2011-07-11 17:19:09 -0500 [Re:
> [BackupPC-users] Different UID numbers for backuppc on 2 computers]:
> There is no UID information in the shadow files,

Ah, good catch. I didn't double-check that. I just tend to check shadow and
gshadow when I change passwd and group, in case I forgot something. (I
forget a lot).

> > Then use a command like 'find / -uid 102 -exec chown backuppc: {} \;' to
> > change the ownership of all the files owned by UID 102 to whatever UID
> > backuppc is.
>
> Well I hope you don't have many files ... how about either
> 'chown -R backuppc:backuppc /archive' (assuming that's TopDir) - there are no
> files under TopDir *not* belonging to backuppc, or at least there shouldn't
> be,
> and there shouldn't be any files belonging to backuppc elsewhere (check with
> find)

That's why I suggested checking the whole filesystem right away.

> - or 'find / -uid 102 -print0 | xargs -0 chown backuppc:backuppc'.

'chown backuppc: <filename>' will set the group to whatever the default
group of the backuppc user is. This may or may not be desireable in all
cases, but it does save some keystrokes when it is desired.

In any case, it is wise to try these sort of things out on a limited area if
at all possible, and read the manual page before getting too fancy.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator