BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Location of TopDir

2011-07-12 10:36:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Location of TopDir
From: Mark Phillips <mark AT phillipsmarketing DOT biz>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 07:34:03 -0700
To close this thread, I found the following:

1. CIFS does support hard links. I ran a test linking some files as well as googled cifs+hard links. The Buffalo NAS boxes don't support NFS out of the box. One has to load new firmware to replace the OS, but the do support CIFS.

2. I had an older backuppc (version 3.1.0) with the hard-coded TopDir, so I had to mount the NAS at /var/lib/backuppc. Once I did that, it all worked as expected.

Thanks for all your help!

Mark
On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 12:07 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
On 7/11/2011 1:08 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Mark Phillips
> <mark AT phillipsmarketing DOT biz>  wrote:
>> Can TopDir be a network drive?
>>
>> I have a NAS, and I would like to use rsync to store the data on the NAS
>> from the backuppc server. Is this possible? How do I configure it?
>
> To add to Andy's comments. Obviously the underlying file-system still
> has to support hardlinks...

Which means you need to mount it via NFS, not CIFS.

> An alternative to changing TopDir is to symlink or bind mount the
> storage to the default TopDir. Two reasons for this are:
>
> 1. If you change backup location you just update the symlink or bind command
> 2. If you're running on a system with SELinux enabled (i.e.,
> enforcing) it helps avoid SELinux policy issues depending on if there
> are specific context/policies enforced for BackupPC (like Fedora).

If you are using a packaged install (.deb/.rpm) earlier than 3.2 you'll
to use the symlink/mount approach to keep the expected TopDir location
(normally /var/lib/backuppc) set by the package builder.