BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] ssh goes defunct but BackupPC is waiting for it

2011-07-03 18:13:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] ssh goes defunct but BackupPC is waiting for it
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 17:11:35 -0500
On 7/3/11 1:57 PM, Holger Parplies wrote:

>> An rsync full means read everything at both ends but only send the
>> differences.
>>    There can be a lot of dead air in the process.
>
> I'm not sure how that exchange happens. Is it one large list with all the
> details at the start (i.e. file list + checksums for all files)? Does the
> receiver really need to compute checksums for *all* files (with
> --ignore-times), even those the sender side would send anyway due to changed
> attributes?

I'm not sure about the details myself, but I've seen the long idle times and it
has come up as a problem on the list before - and can be fixed either with
keep-alives on the connection or increasing the idle timer for connections on
the router/firewall.

> Wouldn't that mean reading those files twice? That would certainly
> explain why checksum caching makes such a difference (maybe I should switch it
> on ;-).

Rsync has some sort of sliding block window to zoom in on changes, not sure
about inode/attribute changes that don't involve the file contents.  They might
always be sent anyway.  Checksum caching only affects the server side - the
sender has to do the reads anyway.