BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] ssh goes defunct but BackupPC is waiting for it

2011-07-03 14:58:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] ssh goes defunct but BackupPC is waiting for it
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 20:57:01 +0200
Hi,

Aleksey Tsalolikhin wrote on Fri, 1 Jul 2011 11:56:42 -0700:
> I just noticed one of my servers has not had a successful full backup
> for over 60 days.  Incremental backups still succeed.

have you only got a single full backup for that host, or did full backups work
up to some point in time, when they started failing? And why does BackupPC do
an incremental backup after a failed full backup? Shouldn't the full be
retried until it succeeds? That doesn't sound right.

Les Mikesell wrote on 2011-07-01 21:05:03 -0500 [Re: [BackupPC-users] ssh goes
defunct but BackupPC is waiting for it]:
> On 7/1/11 6:53 PM, Aleksey Tsalolikhin wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 3:16 PM, Les Mikesell<lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
> > wrote:
> >> Is there a NAT router, stateful firewall, or similar device between them?
> >
> > Yes, there is!
> >
> >> Backups with few changes can let the connection time out leaving both ends
> >> waiting for the other.

Would that lead to a zombie ssh process? See the ssh_config man page for how
to send keepalive messages (TCPKeepAlive or ServerAliveInterval) to keep your
firewall happy.

What is your $Conf{RsyncClientCmd}, or rather, what commands show up in the
XferLOG files for incremental and for full backups? Have you looked at the
XferLOG for a failing full backup? Does it always seem to fail at the same
point?

> > Interesting.  I'm doing a full backup... I don't think that would
> > qualify as a backup
> > with few changes?  I thought full backup means "copy everything", hey?
>
> An rsync full means read everything at both ends but only send the
> differences.
>   There can be a lot of dead air in the process.

I'm not sure how that exchange happens. Is it one large list with all the
details at the start (i.e. file list + checksums for all files)? Does the
receiver really need to compute checksums for *all* files (with
--ignore-times), even those the sender side would send anyway due to changed
attributes? Wouldn't that mean reading those files twice? That would certainly
explain why checksum caching makes such a difference (maybe I should switch it
on ;-).

Regards,
Holger