BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Tuning BackupPC to solve poor performance? (50MB in 20 minutes)

2011-06-30 15:06:25
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Tuning BackupPC to solve poor performance? (50MB in 20 minutes)
From: "C. Ronoz" <chronoz AT eproxy DOT nl>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 21:04:23 +0200
I ran bacula and it backed up this ENTIRE client in like 7 minutes. After 40
minutes, backuppc has only backed up a measly 300MB... of a total of 1.5GB. I
am not even sure how much aready was in-use on the partition after creating the
new partition.

root@backuppc:~# df -h
/dev/sda1              19G  1.4G   17G   8% /
tmpfs                 502M     0  502M   0% /lib/init/rw
udev                  497M  112K  497M   1% /dev
tmpfs                 502M     0  502M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/mapper/vg0-lvol0
                      197G  512M  195G   1% /var/lib/backuppc
root@backuppc:~# date
Thu Jun 30 20:05:49 CEST 2011
root@backuppc:~# df -h
/dev/sda1              19G  1.4G   17G   8% /
tmpfs                 502M     0  502M   0% /lib/init/rw
udev                  497M  112K  497M   1% /dev
tmpfs                 502M     0  502M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/mapper/vg0-lvol0
                      197G  565M  195G   1% /var/lib/backuppc
root@backuppc:~# date
Thu Jun 30 20:24:42 CEST 2011

How can I decrease load? Can I disable deduplication or compression? The load
is very high. This back-up server (virtual machine) has a powerful processor,
although only 1GB memory (that is not fully used). Even running this simple 1
job is very very slow.  See http://images.codepad.eu/v-ISmSn6.png for high cpu
usage.

Last time this back-up ran succesfully for the entire server (1.7GB) it took
more than 12 hours (after which I manually canceled the back-up). This back-up
job ran in 7 minutes(!) on Bacula. I however would prefer to use BackupPC in
the future and I hope people can help me getting decent performance.