BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: Thoughts for "push" backup

2011-06-08 17:54:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: Thoughts for "push" backup
From: Raphael Alla <raphael.alla AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 08:52:38 +1100
We have already implemented such a feature. Basically, the client machine creates an ssh tunnel to connect, and then executes a command on the server to start the backup. Authentication takes place using a public/private key.

Here is the script used on the client machine:
#!/bin/sh
USERNAME=backuppc
PC=pc_name
PORT=22000
ssh -l support -R $PORT:localhost:22 backup.host.name backup.sh $PC $USERNAME

The $PORT value is unique to each host and used in the client configuration file as the port to use for ssh

and here is the script backup.sh used on the server:
#!/bin/sh
PC=$1
USER=$2
sudo -u backuppc /usr/local/bin/backup.sh $PC $USER

A similar script can be organised on windows using putty.

I don't think this is a "dirty hack", there is no other option than to have rsync installed on the client machine.

I hope that helps

R.

2011/6/9 Tyler J. Wagner <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 17:02 -0400, Timothy J Massey wrote:
> I've been asked to consider implementing a push-style backup for
> roaming users:
>
>   users that are out of the office and irregularly connected to the
> Internet.  We would like to be able to back up the profile of such
> users.  We would like to avoid cloud-based services due to privacy
> concerns:  we would like to control the data.  That eliminates things
> such as Carbonite.
>
> I have thought about dirty hacks such as scripting an rsync on the
> client to a centralized rsync server (and then using BackupPC to, say,
> hourly back up that server), but it's a pretty dirty hack...  I'm
> hoping for something a little more... polished (at least).  We would
> also like to avoid having to establish a VPN for such a solution.

No VPN is a big limitation. You really don't want your backup server to
be accessible over the Internet.

You might consider Deja-Dup. It backs up to cloud storage, but it uses
compression and encryption when doing so. The storage provider cannot
access the data.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right
to say it."

Raphaël Alla
+687 78 86 86