BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: Thoughts for "push" backup

2011-06-08 17:37:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: Thoughts for "push" backup
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 22:35:32 +0100
On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 17:02 -0400, Timothy J Massey wrote:
> I've been asked to consider implementing a push-style backup for
> roaming users:
>
>   users that are out of the office and irregularly connected to the
> Internet.  We would like to be able to back up the profile of such
> users.  We would like to avoid cloud-based services due to privacy
> concerns:  we would like to control the data.  That eliminates things
> such as Carbonite.
>
> I have thought about dirty hacks such as scripting an rsync on the
> client to a centralized rsync server (and then using BackupPC to, say,
> hourly back up that server), but it's a pretty dirty hack...  I'm
> hoping for something a little more... polished (at least).  We would
> also like to avoid having to establish a VPN for such a solution.

No VPN is a big limitation. You really don't want your backup server to
be accessible over the Internet.

You might consider Deja-Dup. It backs up to cloud storage, but it uses
compression and encryption when doing so. The storage provider cannot
access the data.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right
to say it."