BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: Thoughts for "push" backup

2011-06-08 17:37:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: Thoughts for "push" backup
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 16:35:10 -0500
On 6/8/2011 4:02 PM, Timothy J Massey wrote:

> I've been asked to consider implementing a push-style backup for roaming
> users: users that are out of the office and irregularly connected to the
> Internet. We would like to be able to back up the profile of such users.
> We would like to avoid cloud-based services due to privacy concerns: we
> would like to control the data. That eliminates things such as Carbonite.
>
> I have thought about dirty hacks such as scripting an rsync on the
> client to a centralized rsync server (and then using BackupPC to, say,
> hourly back up that server), but it's a pretty dirty hack... I'm hoping
> for something a little more... polished (at least). We would also like
> to avoid having to establish a VPN for such a solution.

A VPN might turn out to be the simple way if you run openvpn on the
backuppc server itself and don't configure it to route elsewhere - or if
you dedicate a server for this you might not even connect it to your
internal LAN.  Once connected, they could use the web interface as usual
to start a backup or restore - or you could probably script the
connection and backup run behind a launcher button.  The only hard part
would be knowing when the backup is finished.

> Does anyone have any experience with such a tool where computers in
> random locations can connect to an in-house server to back up files
> automatically?

I thought someone had posted a way to do it over ssh port-forwarding
with the connection established by the client a long time ago but I
can't remember if the backup started started by server polling or if
something else kicked it off.