BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Best FS for BackupPC

2011-05-26 07:13:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Best FS for BackupPC
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 06:05:48 -0500
On 05/26 12:20 , Adam Goryachev wrote:
> BTW, specifically related to backuppc, many years ago, reiserfsck was
> perfect as it doesn't have any concept or limit on 'inodes'... Same for
> mail and news (nntp) servers. Do XFS/JFS have this feature? I'll look
> into these things another day, when I have some time :)

There are indeed 'inodes' listed in the 'df -i' output of XFS filesystems.
However, I've never heard of anyone hitting the inode limit on XFS, unlike
ext3.

$ mount
/dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
<snip>
/dev/sda3 on /var/lib/backuppc type xfs (rw,noatime)
$ df -i
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/sda1            1969920   54048 1915872    3% /
<snip>
/dev/sda3            383991360 6330684 377660676    2% /var/lib/backuppc

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator