BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Best FS for BackupPC

2011-05-25 11:48:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Best FS for BackupPC
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 10:47:13 -0500
On 5/25/2011 10:12 AM, Michael Stowe wrote:

>> To be fair, those "sometimes" are crash situations and it is also a good
>> idea to run hardware/operating systems/UPS's, that... don't cause that
>> problem.   And to have an offsite copy for the things you can't control.
>
> I'm not arguing against either one -- though given a choice between a
> filesystem that will go corrupt if the UPS fails and one that doesn't, I'd
> rather go with the one that doesn't, whether I expect to experience a
> power failure or not.

And I'm not really arguing for reiserfs now that there are other
reasonable choices.  But, I did run it on several systems, including for
backuppc for several years back when the other choice was ext2 where any
unexpected restart would take a day of fsck operations before you could
do anything and in that time I saw several crashes where journal replay
too care of everything.

> I've had UPS batteries blow and power rails burn out in servers before, as
> well as had electricians accidentally short out an entire data center, so
> I'm not inclined to believe a design flaw in a filesystem can be covered
> up by a UPS.  (Neither are you, obviously.)

Sure - you have to play the odds here and make them better any way you
can, but I wouldn't put reiserfs corruption at the top of the list of
things that can make my disks unreadable.

> Basically, I'm saying that I believe, based on my testing, that reiserfs
> is a very poor choice of filesystem for BackupPC.  I'm not suggesting that
> it goes corrupt with normal, continuous use, or that if nothing goes
> horribly wrong, it won't be fine.  I'm suggesting it's a really bad idea
> to have to count on it.

That's all true, but basically putting data on physical disk drives is a
bad idea in the first place because any number of things can go wrong.
If you are prepared for your disks to melt, you probably won't have a
big problem with the relatively unlikely scenario of filesystem corruption.