BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Best FS for BackupPC

2011-05-24 09:26:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Best FS for BackupPC
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 08:25:35 -0500
I did a relatively short filesystem comparison when I moved my BackupPC
pool to another set of drives.  The high level results:

jfs, xfs:  quick, stable
reiserfs:  not stable
ext4:      slow
ext3:      very slow

The "not stable" designation comes from power-off-during-write tests.
Other filesystems generally handled this gracefully, but reiserfs
corrupted the entire tree, and the recovery tools didn't get it back
intact.