BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] host groups; was: feature request: description for machines, searchable

2011-03-22 13:11:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] host groups; was: feature request: description for machines, searchable
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 13:09:05 -0400
Tyler J. Wagner wrote at about 16:26:28 +0000 on Tuesday, March 22, 2011:
 > On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 10:47 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
 > > Agreed - I've always thought it would be nice if backuppc were aware of
 > > hosts grouped on a network route as well and could separately limit the
 > > concurrency within the those groups.   Maybe it could be generalized
 > > with a concept of how much impact a run will have on total concurrency
 > > (to limit the overall number in a way that might differ depending on the
 > > targets) and also within its group to cover bandwidth and other shared
 > > resource (like VMs) issues.
 >
 > That would require too much integration with a bandwidth control system
 > like tc, or --bwlimit on rsync. But a simple solution would be to allow
 > host groups, within which you could specify MaxBackups and
 > MaxUserBackups.

I think it would still be helpful to have a hook that would allow some
type of query of bandwidth available. Perhaps most users would never
use the hook but having the option to call an external routine and
return a bandwidth availability metric would be nice...

 > Of course, if you have host groups, you could also have inheritable
 > templates within the group. Which would rock. Why define a custom
 > parameter for 40 servers, when you can define it once on the host group?

You can do that part now by using links... just link all members of a
group to a single template.

Alternatively, you can use a single config file and insert your own
perl code to add control statements (e.g., 'if' or 'switch' clauses)
to set different config parameters based on the hostname...

I use a combination of both the above approaches...