BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] host groups; was: feature request: description for machines, searchable

2011-03-22 12:28:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] host groups; was: feature request: description for machines, searchable
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 16:26:28 +0000
On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 10:47 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Agreed - I've always thought it would be nice if backuppc were aware of
> hosts grouped on a network route as well and could separately limit the
> concurrency within the those groups.   Maybe it could be generalized
> with a concept of how much impact a run will have on total concurrency
> (to limit the overall number in a way that might differ depending on the
> targets) and also within its group to cover bandwidth and other shared
> resource (like VMs) issues.

That would require too much integration with a bandwidth control system
like tc, or --bwlimit on rsync. But a simple solution would be to allow
host groups, within which you could specify MaxBackups and
MaxUserBackups.

Of course, if you have host groups, you could also have inheritable
templates within the group. Which would rock. Why define a custom
parameter for 40 servers, when you can define it once on the host group?

Regards,
Tyler

--
"If we don't believe in free expression for people we despise, we don't
believe in it at all."