BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backups tooo slow over WAN - how to split them

2011-03-15 17:36:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backups tooo slow over WAN - how to split them
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 17:34:47 -0400
Bowie Bailey wrote at about 16:39:59 -0400 on Tuesday, March 15, 2011:
 > On 3/15/2011 3:49 PM, David Herring wrote:
 > >
 > > I'm trying to backup windows servers with approx 3 partitions of 100G
 > > each over a WAN link. This takes 'days' to run and never successfully
 > > completes. I'm using rsyncd on the windows machines - and the backup
 > > is to a ubuntu server.
 > >
 > > So, how do you split the backups from a single machine - do you have
 > > to create multiple host entries for each machine ? Does this make
 > > restore too painful ?
 > >
 > > Is there anything else I should be doing ? MTU size ?
 >
 > You can split the backups by directories.  Just create separate backup
 > hosts that each backup some of the directories.  Give each host slightly
 > different names and use the "ClientNameAlias" setting to point them back
 > to the proper host name.
 >
 > Keep in mind that this may result in the separate backups running
 > simultaneously.  To prevent this you can use the "DumpPreUserCmd" and
 > "DumpPostUserCmd" to set and check for lock files.

Bowie's suggestion is spot on.
But I'm still not sure why backup over WAN should take 'days' even for
300GB and even if this were the first time through or even if the
files changed heavily.

Assuming you have even low-end machines and a 100Mbps Internet, you
should be able to get O(5-10MBps) speeds which should complete your
backups in well under a day. Perhaps you have some large files that
are causing rsyncd timeouts? (you might want to check the 'timout'
parameter setting in rsync). Also, look at the client and server logs
to see why the backups don't complete.