BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Backups tooo slow over WAN - how to split them

2011-03-15 16:25:30
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Backups tooo slow over WAN - how to split them
From: David Herring <dave AT netfm DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 20:23:54 +0000

Hi,

New to this list - not sure if my first post worked - so am resending....

I'm trying to backup windows servers with approx 3 partitions of 100G each over a WAN link. I'm using rsyncd on the windows machines - and the backup is to a ubuntu server.

This takes 'days' to run and never successfully complete - normally I have to stop the backuppc��(via /etc/init.d/backuppc stop) and this loses the already downloaded data....

So, how do you split the backups from a single machine - so each can run within a reasonable (say 4 hour) timeframe ? Do you have to create multiple host entries for each machine ? Does this make restore too painful ? Is the whole issue about number of files / rsyncd performance ....

Is there anything else I should be doing ? MTU size ?�

Any help�great-fully�received,
Dave

--�
David Herring