BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Really slow with rsync, even on incrementals

2011-02-23 23:03:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Really slow with rsync, even on incrementals
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen AT complete DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 04:00:18 +0000 (UTC)
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On 2/23/11 7:42 PM, John Goerzen wrote:
> > Les Mikesell<lesmikesell<at>  gmail.com>  writes:
> >
> > For each directory, it opens
> >
> > /var/lib/backuppc/pc/hostname/13/...path/dir
> > /var/lib/backuppc/pc/hostname/13/...path/dir/attrib
> > /var/lib/backuppc/pc/hostname/12/...path/dir
> > /var/lib/backuppc/pc/hostname/12/...path/dir/attrib
> >
> > on down to 7.

And it turns out it's worse than that.  It's calling mkdir for each directory
too, and eventually most of them are either empty or hold attrib files.  I'll
have hundreds of thousands of new directories made on each incremental, to hold
nothing or attrib files.  Does it do that with tar too?

> Are you really sure that using incremental levels is saving time compared to
> more frequent fulls?   If you timed the first or 2nd full, it may be faster
> now
> if you have set the checksum-seed option.

No, I will check that, though I can't imagine it would be faster.  It will still
mkdir a bunch of stuff, and link() it as well, plus re-checksum it on the
client.  On the plus side, I guess it wouldn't open all the old stuff.

> quite that simple.    It would be nice to be able to decouple the timing of
> how
> often you want to rebuild the comparison tree from when you want to re-check
> all
> of the data.

Indeed it would.

-- John