BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Really slow with rsync, even on incrementals

2011-02-23 15:10:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Really slow with rsync, even on incrementals
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 14:53:15 -0500
"Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote on 02/23/2011 10:46:54 AM:

> Are you using lvm snapshots?
> It seems that some of my terribly slow recent performance has been due
> to having lvm snapshots. I saw a site that claimed lvm snapshots in
> practice can degrade write performance up to 20-30x...

This is mostly true when your log file is on the same spindle as the LV you're snapshotting.  That should be considered an absolute no-no.  You get the type of performance dropoff you're talking about.  LVM snapshots pretty much require a dedicated drive for the log.  Or drives:  if the volume you're snapshotting is a, say, 6-disk RAID array, and you give only a single drive for the log, everything gets bottlenecked by the log drive.

Timothy J. Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com