BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Really slow with rsync, even on incrementals

2011-02-23 12:09:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Really slow with rsync, even on incrementals
From: Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT BUC DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 12:07:41 -0500
On 2/23/2011 11:39 AM, John Goerzen wrote:
> Michael Stowe <mstowe <at> chicago.us.mensa.org> writes:
>
>> Another way to put this is that you'd like BackupPC to overcome
>> performance problems caused by your amazingly slow I/O.  Not that I'm
>> arguing against rewriting BackupPC to accomodate slow media, but I'm
>> certainly not going to bother, since it's certainly not slow for me.
> Well, I don't think that's entirely accurate.  BackupPC is on the order of 10
> times slower than alternatives making full backups after the first.  It is on
> the order of 20-50 times slower than alternatives making incrementals.  This
> referring to the same disk setup.
>
> The order of magnitude here won't go away with faster disks.  If, say, the
> disks
> are twice as fast, then it could still be 10 times slower but maybe that
> wouldn't be as much a problem.
>
> I've also noted performance problems using BackupPC+rsync to back up 25GB
> files,
> and that on enterprise server-class hardware, not my personal USB drive at
> home.
>
> I believe I've found a design issue in how BackupPC uses rsync, but I'm not
> clever enough yet to work out what it is or if/how I could work around it.

It seems like something in your setup is causing problems.  BackupPC
should not be that slow.  I use rsync on most of my backups and do not
see anything like this.

My largest machine:

314GB
1.8 million files
Full backup: 10 hours
Inc backup: 1 hour

And these machines are nothing special.  The backup server is an Athlon
64 1Ghz w/ 1G ram.  The server being backed up is  a P4 2.5Ghz w/ 512M
ram.  Of course, I don't have USB drives or filesystem encryption
slowing me down.

--
Bowie