BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Imported local backups, now remote ones in wrong directory

2011-02-17 11:13:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Imported local backups, now remote ones in wrong directory
From: "Boniforti Flavio" <flavio AT piramide DOT ch>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 17:12:07 +0100
Hallo Christian,

I'll try to explain what I do to import them, and also thanks for your thoughts, I'll apply them right now.

I'm using rsync over ssh method for backing up WAN hosts, and it works almost flawlessly: the only troubles arise when *huge* changes happen on the remote server.

To import data I do as follows:

first, I put the data from my USB HDD into a folder on my backuppc server (you must have enough free space, of course!);
then I change /etc/rsyncd.conf by configuring the exact number and type of modules I need to back up from the remote server, pointing for each one to the correct path on the LOCAL copy;
then I start rsync manually: rsync -v --daemon --config=/etc/rsyncd.conf --no-detach;
on BackupPC webGUI I simply use defaults:
RsyncdClientPort [873]
DumpPreShareCmd [empty]
and finally I start *manually* from the webinterface the first full backup.

After this one ends successfully, I simply stop rsync from running, delete the data from the temporary location, set up the correct RsyncdClientPort (as it is tunneled I use other ports, like 8883 8884 and so on, different from remote host to remote host) and I set my DumpPreShareCmd to start the ssh tunnel.

That's it, but if you need more depth I can help!

Ciao,

Flavio Boniforti

PIRAMIDE INFORMATICA SAGL
Via Ballerini 21