BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Running a command after backup

2011-02-10 16:28:33
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Running a command after backup
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 16:26:46 -0500
Bowie Bailey wrote at about 16:19:27 -0500 on Thursday, February 10, 2011:
 > On 2/10/2011 3:41 PM, Jeff Hanson wrote:
 > > On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT buc DOT
 > > com> wrote:
 > >> The only machines I have that make use of that command only have one
 > >> share, so I can't say from experience.  But reading the docs, that
 > >> should not happen.  I believe the order should be like this:
 > >>
 > >> Run DumpPreUserCmd
 > >> Run DumpPreShareCmd
 > >> Dump Share 1
 > >> Run DumpPostShareCmd
 > >> Run DumpPreShareCmd
 > >> Dump Share 2
 > >> Run DumpPostShareCmd
 > >> Run DumpPostUserCmd
 > >>
 > > Actually that is the problem.  I need the command to run at then end
 > > of all the jobs, not just individual dumps.
 > >
 > > I discovered in the manual that "archive" is a specific xfer method
 > > which explains why the ArchivePostUserCmd didn't function with rsync.
 > >
 > > I may be forced to monitor output from BackupPC_serverMesg to pick out
 > > active jobs and shut down when there aren't any.
 >
 > So you are looking for something to run when ALL of the backups are
 > finished rather that at the end of the backup for each machine?
 >
 > I don't think there is anything built-in that will do that.

Nor could there possibly be since there is no such concept as "all of
the backups" -- each machine runs on it's own schedule based on the
config file and when it was last backed up. So there is no guaranteed
ordering or synchronization among the backups -- each proceeds to be
backed up when it is ready. Even if they all start out ordered they
will diverge over time due to different length of time it takes to
back up each machine and different availability/downtimes.

So there is no possible way for BackupPC to know when all the backups
are finished let alone act on it...