BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Exclude Patterns for Rsync -- and how well-supported is rsync?

2011-01-26 09:21:17
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Exclude Patterns for Rsync -- and how well-supported is rsync?
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen AT complete DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 08:19:13 -0600
Hi,

The documentation for BackupFilesExclude [1] and its examples seem to
indicate that the patterns can be anchored to the root directory.  That
is, if you want to exclude the apt cache, you could use a rule of
/var/cache/apt/archives/*.

That only works if you are backing up an entire system at once.  If your
RsyncShareName is instead ['/', '/var', '/usr', '/home'] or some such,
then this pattern will not match, at least with rsync.  For rsync the
patterns are rooted against the top-level directory for the transfer.

Annoyingly, that means I will have to list all these patterns twice,
since some of my systems have just one big filesystem, and others have
/, /usr, /home, /var, etc.

More confusingly, the manual mentions how to craft patterns for tar and
smb but not for rsync.  I've now noticed many places in the manual where
only tar or smb are mentioned, and now mention of rsync even though it
is relevant.  Is that just due to lack of manpower to write docs, or
does it imply that rsync is something of a second-class citizen in
backuppc?  If rsync isn't well-used and well-regarded with BackupPC,
then I wouldn't want to use it for my vital data.  If I can't use rsync,
then BackupPC won't meet my needs -- so I am keenly interested in this
point.

-- John

[1]
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#_conf_backupfilesexclude_