BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackupPC under OpenBSD 4.8 do not finish its job ...

2011-01-26 17:40:57
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC under OpenBSD 4.8 do not finish its job ...
From: cle-backuppc AT qiao.in-berlin DOT de
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 19:42:10 +0100
Hello,

I already use BackupPC for a few years now to backup a few private
machines at my family's home. I used it under NetBSD until two weeks before.

Now I was switched to OpenBSD 4.8 with my BackupPC server (version 3.2)
and copied my configuration onto that new installed machine. Although
all looked right, I cannot get any backup finished on my new
installation I have to kill the jobs after several (8-9 hours) of stalling.

So I crafted a test configuration just to try out, why it doesn't work
anymore. My test configuration, however, work on my NetBSD installation
running in a VMware virtual machine, where I put my NetBSD server just
before I migrated the physically machine to OpenBSD.

I use rsyncd to backup. Issue a manually 'rsync' command will copy over
all files of my module via rsyncd in just a few seconds. But issue a

   BackupPC_dump -vf test

will stall at a certain point on my OpenBSD installation, but will
succeed on my NetBSD installation just in a few minutes too ...

Here are the configuration data (test.pl) of my installation:

$Conf{RsyncShareName} = [ ':' ];
$Conf{XferMethod} = 'rsyncd';
$Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {
  ':' => [ '/mnt', '/dev', '/proc', '/backup' ]
};
$Conf{RsyncArgsExtra} = [
   '--one-file-system', '--sparse', '--relative'
];
$Conf{PingMaxMsec} = 200;
$Conf{RsyncdPasswd} = 'XXXXXXXXX';
$Conf{RsyncdUserName} = 'backuppc';
$Conf{ClientNameAlias} = 'localhost';
$Conf{IncrLevels} = [ 1, 2, 3 ];
$Conf{FullAgeMax} = 365;
$Conf{FullKeepCnt} = [ 4, 2, 11 ];
$Conf{FullKeepCntMin} = 12;
$Conf{BlackoutPeriods} = [ {
   'hourEnd' => 23, 'weekDays' => [ 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ],
   'hourBegin' => 4
} ];
$Conf{RsyncArgs} = [
   '--perms', '--owner', '--group', '-D', '--links', '--hard-links',
   '--times', '--block-size=2048', '--recursive',
   '--checksum-seed=32761'
];
$Conf{RsyncRestoreArgs} = [
   '--perms', '--owner', '--group', '-D', '--links', '--hard-links',
   '--times', '--block-size=2048', '--relative', '--ignore-times',
   '--recursive'
];
$Conf{EMailAdminUserName} = 'cle';

If I start the backup with the command mentioned above, its output will
end with

   create d    755    0/0    512 xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml

which should be the last directory of the module ':' (i.e. '/etc') to be
backup'd.

In the rsyncd logfile, the last entry is 'building file list'.

After this, the CPU of the BackupPC_dump will climb up to 98% - 99% and
will remain here until I ^C the job ... :-(

Until this point BackupPC did create directories and mainly 'attrib'
files, but only a few of the files it should backup ...

So does anybody have an idea what could be going wrong? I have searched
for two days now in the net and the mailing list archive, but found
nothing that seem to be similar to my problem.

Thanks for any help ...

Regards,
Clemens.