BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Migrating backup machines

2010-12-17 07:01:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Migrating backup machines
From: "d.davolio AT mastertraining DOT it" <d.davolio AT mastertraining DOT it>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 12:58:24 +0100
Ok, this is what I did to make the migration works.
I had Backuppc 3.1 installed on a Debian Etch server. The pool is
located on a NFS storage resource and mounted on the Backuppc Server.
I wanted to migrate to an Ubuntu 10.04LTS server, with Backuppc always
3.1, keeping the same pool on NFS storage.

- install backuppc on the new server.
- mount the NFS storage on the same position/path.
- be sure that the "backuppc" UID and GID are the same as for the old
server. I had to change them manually. This is important to me because
my NFS keep file permissions and ownership of the files.
- In /etc/backuppc:
-- I reconfigured the config.pl based on the old one. I didn't copied
directly the old one.
-- Reconfigured the hosts file based on the old one.
-- Copied the "servers.pl" files from the old server to the new one.
-- Copied the ht* files from the old server to the new one.
- changed the configuration of apache2 as documentation explain.
- Stopped the backuppc daemon on the old server and unmounted the NFS
pool storage.
- Started the backuppc daemon on the new server.
- tested backup and restore manually. Checked the configuration around.
- tested the automatic backup during night.
This seems enough.

Thanks for the tips :)