BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Migrating backup machines

2010-12-15 13:24:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Migrating backup machines
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 13:21:46 -0500
Robin Lee Powell wrote at about 09:54:02 -0800 on Wednesday, December 15, 2010:
 > On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 04:26:07PM +0100, d.davolio AT mastertraining DOT it
 > wrote:
 > > OK, I know that it's an old topic :)
 > >
 > > I checked the mailing list and wiki but still I can't find the right
 > > "direction".
 > >
 > > I just need migrate to a new Backupc server. I don't need to move the
 > > pool because my data are on a NAS. My old backuppc server is a Linux
 > > Debian etch. The new one is a Debian lenny that mount exactly the same
 > > storage as the former backup server and the backuppc comes from standard
 > > repository.
 > >
 > > Seen that I don't want to loose my working pool and I cant duplicate it
 > > (I don't have another NAS with 4TB free space), is it enough to copy the
 > > configuration from one server to another? Which files?
 >
 > If the pool/, cpool/, and pc/ directories will be available, and
 > mounted in the same place, on both machines, you just need to copy
 > the /etc/backuppc directory.  I would try a couple of test restores
 > to be sure, but that should be it.

Well there are some small potential gotchas...
1. config.pl has some options that may include a machine or domain
   name (such as where to send admin emails) - if you set those, make
   sure to adjust them as needed

2. Also backuppc user & administrator  apache/cgi usernames may need
   to be copied over or adjusted

3. Also if you restrict ssh/rsyncd/smb access on your client machines
   by IP then you need to adjust that for the new machine.