BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Not all Files in Pool?

2010-12-13 13:32:09
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Not all Files in Pool?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 13:29:58 -0500
Les Mikesell wrote at about 09:32:52 -0600 on Monday, December 13, 2010:
 > On 12/13/2010 4:48 AM, Merz, Christian wrote:
 > > Hello,
 > >
 > > I wanted to ask if there is maybe a minimum size limit for files to go
 > > into the pool, as I’m seeing pretty strange stats here:
 > >
 > > # Pool is 1273.83GB comprising 5853384 files and 4369 directories (as of
 > > 12/13 07:07),
 > >
 > > # Pool hashing gives 4167 repeated files with longest chain 118
 > >
 > > While a single host already gives this result:
 > >
 > > Totals Existing Files New Files
 > >
 > > Backup# Type #Files Size/MB MB/sec #Files Size/MB #Files Size/MB
 > >
 > > 146 full 9327520 487238.6 2.23 9300554 479837.4 47829 7410.5
 > >
 > > Thats 5.8 mil Files in the Pool, while this Host alone has 9.3 mil
 > > Files. How can this be explained?
 >
 > If you have files with duplicate content, only one instance should be in
 > the pool.  That's normal and is the point of the pooling mechanism.  If
 > you don't have that much duplication, you should have a few million
 > error messages in your log files telling you why it can't make the link.

To amplify what Les just explained, this whole idea of "pool
deduplication" is one of the key selling points of BackupPC, alllowing
you to backup all your machines ever day -- whether as fulls or
incrementals -- with only minimal additional storage requirements.

Also, to answer your other question about minimal file length for the
pool, all non-zero length files (including the 'attrib' database
files) are stored in the pool.