BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Development feedback & discussion for Backuppc 4.0??

2010-12-13 13:45:54
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Development feedback & discussion for Backuppc 4.0??
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: General list for user discussion <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>, backuppc-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 13:44:10 -0500
Craig,

A number of us are waiting with baited-breath for all the wonderful
features & improvements that you have tantalized us with that are
slated for Ver 4.0.

I was wondering whether it would be helpful to start-up a discussion
(moderated by you assuming you are interested) that would get some
user feedback on some of the planned features and methods of
implementation.

I'm sure that some of the heavier users here would have some good
feedback and potentially even suggestions for improving the
implementation or getting around challenges you may be facing when
looking at all the code alone. Also, in case there are any issues,
conflicts, concerns, or major missing features, it might be good to
start soliciting such feedback before you have all the bells &
whistles hard coded.

Particularly with things like the new ACL functionality and a new
database approach, I imagine that there might be differing opinions
both on the scope and method of implementation. Personally, I think it
would be a shame if some choices are hard-coded in now that in the
future prove sub-optimal and could have been avoided had you had the
input earlier in the design process.

If you and others are interested in such a discussion and if it takes
off, we should of course move it solely to the development list. But I
thought I would float the idea here to get a sense of the level of interest.