BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackupPC perl code hacking question...

2010-12-13 12:55:43
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC perl code hacking question...
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: General list for user discussion <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 12:53:28 -0500
For reasons I can explain later, I am trying to set
$Conf{RsyncdPasswd} in the main routine of BackupPC_dump (I am
actually trying to do something a bit more complex but this is easier
to understand).

Now since %Conf = $bpc->Conf(), I would have thought that for example
setting $Conf{RsyncPasswd} = "mypasswd" would then be pushed down to
all the routines called directly or indirectly from BackupPC_dump.

However, in Rsync.pm where the value of $Conf{RsyncPasswd} is actually
used, the value remains at ''.

(Of course setting the paramter the "normal" way within a config file
works and shows up as set in Rsync.pm)

So why isn't it working when I set it at the top level?
And what would I have to set at the top level to make it properly
passed to Rsync.pm?

I'm sure I must be missing something about how perl inherits and/or
overwrites variables... but I am stumped here...