BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Jeff, script question (was Re: How to run night manually?)

2010-09-22 02:34:32
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Jeff, script question (was Re: How to run night manually?)
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 02:31:29 -0400
Robin Lee Powell wrote at about 12:38:34 -0700 on Tuesday, September 21, 2010:
 > On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 11:08:17AM +0200, Sorin Srbu wrote:
 > > >-----Original Message----- From: Robin Lee Powell
 > > >[mailto:rlpowell AT digitalkingdom DOT org] Sent: Monday, September 20,
 > > >2010 3:47 AM To: sorin.srbu AT orgfarm.uu DOT se; General list for user
 > > >discussion, questions and support Subject: How to run night
 > > >manually?

 > > >Was there?  I'd very much like to hear about it.
 > > >
 > > >What's the right way to do that?
 > >
 > > I based my comment on the warning(s) given in the
 > > http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/index.php?title=How_to_delete_backups
 > > wiki article. You might find more articles of use to you on
 > > http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=BackupPC_nightly&go=Go.
 >
 > Oooh,
 > http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/index.php?title=BackupPC_FixLinks
 > looks very nifty!
 >
 > My question is (for Jeff, really): when you run nightly via the
 > server like that, does it respect MaxBackupPCNightlyJobs and
 > BackupPCNightlyPeriod ?  I wanted to force a "do everything, please"
 > run.
 >
 > -Robin

Assuming you are talking to about BackupPC_fixLinks, the script calls
a function run_nightly from the library jLib.pm (my set of library
routines) that in turn uses the BackupPC server messaging system to
run the standard BackupPC_nightly routine. This is the sanctioned,
generally safe way to call various BackupPC routines.

Honestly, I never really looked into whether it enforces the
constraints you mention above. But looking at the code, it seems that
these constraints are enforced only by the BackupPC main routine
(i.e. daeomon) itself (which then after checking such constraints uses
the same server messaging system to actually call the BackupPC_nightly
routine). Therefore my standalone routine would NOT enforce such constraints.

But that is really what I think you want in most cases. Because if you
want BackupPC_nightly to be run as part of the regular BackupPC daemon
scheduling conditions then leave out the -c flag that manually triggers
BackupPC_nightly to run immediately. If you want to force a run now,
then add the -c flag.

Hope this clarifies....