BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Surprising disk usage, *not* a link problem (I don't think)

2010-09-19 21:48:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Surprising disk usage, *not* a link problem (I don't think)
From: Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell AT digitalkingdom DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 18:46:17 -0700
On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 07:15:49PM +0800, Chris Hoy Poy wrote:
> Hi Robin,
>
>    - disk fragmentation coupled with minimum file size allocation
>    issues (?) ie lots of the same large file updated in place
>    might lead to this scenario, I think?

I guess?  Don't know how I'd check that.

>    - can you confirm trash is empty?

It is empty.

>   - is nightly cleanup showing that it actually cleaned stuff up?
>   (I have "Nightly cleanup removed 31159 files of size 88.77GB
>   (around 9/17 15:37)" or similiar on status)

Nightly cleanup removed 2831 files of size 28.75GB (around 9/19
02:39),

>    - how many full backups / incremental backups are listed on
>    your "host summary" page ?

There are 172 hosts that have been backed up, for a total of:

318 full backups of total size 2569.41GB (prior to pooling and
compression),

4687 incr backups of total size 8298.06GB (prior to pooling and
compression).

> My pool is around 630GB and 3843035 files (so 1/5th the size and
> only half the number of files), but DF shows it to be 654GB on
> disk.

That's a 2% difference; min is 3055GiB vs ~3800GiB, which is a *20*%
difference.  10x more different.  Seems a lot.

> I put the discrepancy down to the number of directories in my PC
> tree - directories don't hardlink, only files do. The list of
> files in a directory has to be stored somewhere, and each
> directory has a minimum allocation size on disk.

Good point.  That might do it.

-Robin

--
http://singinst.org/ :  Our last, best hope for a fantastic future.