BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Backing-up BackupPC ?

2010-09-13 08:41:15
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Backing-up BackupPC ?
From: Timothy Murphy <gayleard AT eircom DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:32:53 +0100
I backup (with BackupPC) onto a partition /BackupPC on machine A.
I backup one directory on machine A, and another directory on machine B.

I recently received a smartd warning about machine A:
-----------------------------
Device: /dev/sdb, 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
-----------------------------
This disk (sdb) is actually the drive on which I backup,
though there are 7 partitions on the disk,
and I don't know if the problem is in the /BackupPC partition.
(I don't know how to determine with smartctl
exactly where the problem is.)

I have a large (1TB) USB external drive
I would like to use to backup my BackupPC data,
in case drive sdb actually packs up.

I've looked quickly at the BackupPC documentation,
in particular the section on archiving,
but I am not entirely clear of the procedure,
and would be very grateful for precise instructions.

I'm also not entirely clear whether if I added
a further internal drive /dev/sdc/ to my machine
whether it would be relatively easy
to transfer the BackupPC data from the USB disk to the new disk.

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net