BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing-up BackupPC ?

2010-09-13 21:09:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing-up BackupPC ?
From: Timothy Murphy <gayleard AT eircom DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 02:05:53 +0100
Les Mikesell wrote:

>> I have a large (1TB) USB external drive
>> I would like to use to backup my BackupPC data,
>> in case drive sdb actually packs up.
>>
>> I've looked quickly at the BackupPC documentation,
>> in particular the section on archiving,
>> but I am not entirely clear of the procedure,
>> and would be very grateful for precise instructions.

> If you don't expect to need to restore from your old copies, the easiest
> thing would be to just add a new internal drive mounted wherever the old
> partition was and start over with new backups, keeping the old drive
> around just in case until you have sufficient new history on the new
> drive.  It may take a very long time to copy the old data and there's
> some chance it would fail during the copy anyway.  If there is anything
> particularly valuable in the old backups that doesn't still exist on the
> source directories, you could do a browser download, saving to the
> external drive.

Thanks for your response.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "a browser download".

Actually one of the directories I am backing up with BackupPC
is on the same possibly bad disk.
I guess it is better to back up the source first to another drive,
as I think you are suggesting.

I have ordered a new internal disk, which should arrive in a couple of days,
and I'll follow your suggestion.
I currently have a partition mounted as /BackupPC .
Can I just mount a partition on the new drive as /BackupPC instead?
Doesn't BackupPC expect to find the old backups in place?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net