BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to exclude all hidden files except some of them ?

2010-09-12 12:28:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to exclude all hidden files except some of them ?
From: Xuo <xuoy AT free DOT fr>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 18:26:09 +0200
 Le 24/08/2010 17:04, Richard Shaw a écrit :
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Xuo <xuoy AT free DOT fr> wrote:
>>  Hi,
>>
>> My RsyncShareName is /home.
>> I would like to be able to backup everything under /home/* but NOT to
>> backup all hidden files (.xxx files) of /home/* EXCEPT (for ex) .tcshrc,
>> .ssh, .filezilla and .thunderbird files or dirs.
>>
>> I have excluded some .xxx files (with BackupFilesExclude) but it is
>> painful and some new .xxx files can be added anytime. The best should be
>> to exclude all except some of them.
>>
>> How can I do this ?
> I wish I could give you some specific advice but I haven't tried this
> so I'll have to speak in generalities.
>
> I'm pretty sure excludes are applied prior to includes so I would
> approach it like this:
> - Use a single exclude for all ".xxx" files. The excludes work
> differently depending on the backup method so I would play with this
> until I get it working. I don't even understand them completely.
> - Then include the specific directories you want to backup.
>
> Just be careful how you craft your excludes. If you use a glob (i.e.
> *) on the front of your exclude then I think it will apply to every
> directory, not just /home. Also, I don't think it will differentiate
> between hidden directories or hidden files.
>
> Richard
Hi,

I couldn't succeed to do what I wanted.
If in the "BackupFilesOnly" I just define the dot files I want to keep
(and in the "BackupFilesExclude", all the dot files), then ONLY the dot
files from "BackupFilesOnly" are saved, no other regular file.
For the moment, I exclude some dot files that are too big and that I
don't want to backup.

Xuo.