BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Subject: Re: distribution packages and tar upgrades + full backups

2010-09-12 10:42:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Subject: Re: distribution packages and tar upgrades + full backups
From: Timothy Omer <Tim AT TwoIT.co DOT uk>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 15:39:43 +0100
> Yes, but you can use incremental levels to change this behavior and have the
> server merge the incremental and backing full for the comparison.  This takes
> some extra work on the server side but may be worth it if bandwidth is
> restricted.

ah, so setting incremental levels allows the last incremental to look
like a full therefore when the next backup runs the backup before
always looks like a full. this means incremental backups only differ
in the way they check files on the client to be backed up

> This is the point of the full runs setting the --ignore-times option for
> rsync.
>  This forces a block checksum comparison to detect changes even if the name,
> timestamp, and length are the same.  And the pooling is based on the file
> content with hash collision management.  If anything changes in the content
> you
> will get a new entry in the pool.  If you turn on checksum caching, the server
> side file is not read every time but a small percentage of the time it will be
> read again as a test for corruption.

right ok, i cannot see the --ignore-times option - im guessing all
fulls just run with that option.

Based on your comments, I have decided the following options to allow
me to have 3 months of backups with one backup made each week...

FullPeriod = 6.7
FullKeepCnt = 12
FullKeepCntMin = 4
FullAgeMax = 180

IncrPeriod = 0

I hope thats correct, if you believe anything is out of place please
do correct me.

Thanks again for your help!