BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc looks at files permissions but not at user's ones.

2010-09-11 11:35:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc looks at files permissions but not at user's ones.
From: Xuo <xuoy AT free DOT fr>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 17:33:09 +0200
 Le 28/08/2010 20:02, Les Mikesell a écrit :
> On 8/28/10 7:01 AM, Xuo wrote:
>>   Hi,
>>
>> I would like to notice a behavior that (I think) should be modified.
>> By default, my ping and ssh executables have the following file attributes :
>>
>> -rwsr-x--- 1 root ntools  34920 2010-04-18 12:31
>> /bin/ping
>>
>> -rwxr-x--- 1 root ntools 360896 2010-06-07 22:17 /usr/bin/ssh
>>
>> The cgi interface displays a red warning which says that the files are
>> not executable for user backuppc.
>>
>> This would be true if backuppc was not in the unix group ntools.
>> On the command line, I can run any of these commands when I am logged in
>> as user backuppc.
>>
>> To bypass the problem, I modified the file attributes as :
>>
>> -rwsr-xr-x 1 root ntools  34920 2010-04-18 12:31
>> /bin/ping
>>
>> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root ntools 360896 2010-06-07 22:17 /usr/bin/ssh
>>
>> But I think that the warning should not appear.
>> I did not try to run any backup while the warning was displayed. It is
>> possible that this does not prevent backuppc from doing its job.
> The web interface starts as your httpd/apache user and becomes backuppc
> through
> the suid setting on the perl script.  I'm not sure if the additional groups
> would still follow the original apache user or the effective backuppc user,
> but
> I think the former.   The server side would be started as backuppc so this
> would
> only affect the web interface.

Hi,

I confirm that the "red warning" is just a warning and does not prevent
backups to be performed.
The unix protection has defined as follows and the backuppc user has
been added to the ntools unix group.

/root 7 # ls -als /bin/ping
/usr/bin/ssh

 36 -rwsr-x--- 1 root ntools  34920 2010-04-18 12:31
/bin/ping
360 -rwxr-x--- 1 root ntools 360896 2010-06-07 22:17 /usr/bin/ssh

Regards.

Xuo.