BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Virtualised backuppc on iscsi or smb: Requesting for comments...

2010-09-09 13:15:16
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Virtualised backuppc on iscsi or smb: Requesting for comments...
From: "gagablubber AT vollbio DOT de" <gagablubber AT vollbio DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 18:46:31 +0200
Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to the list and to backuppc but I have spent some weeks
now reading mails on the list and I've played around with backuppc a
bit. From time to time I changed my mind about the setup I want to
realise. Here a idea that I'd like to have discussed.

My hardware consists of:
- FreeNAS server (FreeBSD based NAS distribution). iscsi, ufs, zfs,...
all there
- A Linux Server running various virtual machines using Oracle
Virtualbox as virtualisation solution.

Backup concept:
- backuppc backing up clients to NAS
- full backup of backuppc data and configuration to offline offsite
media. (disaster recovery)

Some thoughts:
- NFS for mounting the NAS into the virtualised backuppc makes backup of
data (on NAS) and configuration (in vdi on virtualisation host) two
separated things. Not only the data on the NAS but the virtual machine
image must be backed up. Modification to the standard installation
package is needed to go this way (softlink to have pool on nfs mount).
UFS or ZFS on the NAS opposed to ext3 on the backuppc machine... problem?
- Virtualbox can mount iscsi drives and use them as disks for virtual
machines, so that no data is stored on the virtualisation host but
everything directly on the NAS. This iscsi "drive" consist of a
container file on the NAS that should be easy to copy to an external
device. This raw image can be converted to a vdi vm image using the
Virtualbox command line tool.
- As alternative to iscsi a vdi stored on a smb share could be used. smb
needs less RAM on the NAS but has more overhead... what better?

For the offline offsite backup simply copying the raw or vdi image to a
external hard drive should be sufficient.

Does anyone have a similar setup? What is good? Which points didn't I
think of?

Thanks for your advices. Looking forward for an interesting discussion.