BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] rsync from MacOS X client to Linux server again

2010-09-09 11:39:10
Subject: [BackupPC-users] rsync from MacOS X client to Linux server again
From: Axel Beckert <beckert AT phys.ethz DOT ch>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 17:17:13 +0200
Hi,

we need a new backup server for some standalone Macs. I'd like to use
BackupPC (as I do for Linux laptops and lab PCs).

The last time I had a look at this issue (2-3 years ago or so) the way
to go was to use tar instead of rsync due rsync's resource fork
handling did only work from Mac to Mac, but not to Linux.

Since version 3.0.0 from 2008, rsync has xattrs (resource fork)
support, but it seems to be incompatible with Apple's patches against
rsync 2.6.9 (the current MacOS X 10.6.4 still has 2.6.9):

user@somelinux $ rsync -av --xattrs root@somemac:/var/root/ somemac/
rsync: on remote machine: -vlogDtpXre.iL: unknown option
rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at
/SourceCache/rsync/rsync-40/rsync/main.c(1333) [server=2.6.9]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [receiver]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(635)
[receiver=3.0.3]

Happens with local rsync 3.0.7, too.

Did anyone manage to get this (BackupPC backing up also resource forks
via rsync) working recently? The new Macs will have 2 TB disks and
since I know our users, they will fill them with really big files, so
I don't want to have tar to transmit always the whole file if just a
few bytes changed. :-/

                Regards, Axel Beckert
--
Axel Beckert <beckert AT phys.ethz DOT ch>       support: +41 44 633 26 68
IT Services Group, HPT D 17                 voice: +41 44 633 41 89