BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_tarCreate Problem

2010-08-11 19:37:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_tarCreate Problem
From: John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 23:34:35 +0000
On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 05:03:47PM -0500, Stephen Gelman wrote:
> On 08/11/2010 03:35 PM, John Rouillard wrote:

> >> Using gnu tar.  This happens both if I pipe the output of
> >> BackupPC_createTar directly to tar and if I untar from the file.  More
> >> specifically, the tar command I am using is "tar -xf - -C MYDIRECTORY".
> >> No compression and the archive is staying on the same server.
> >
> > If you have pax installed does using it in place of tar produce better
> > diagnostics (e.g. why it doesn't look like file header)?
> When I try and extract the tar file using pax, I get a lot of errors
> similar to the following:
>
> pax: checksum error on header record : 4m^[.^UUWD/1
> pax: test.tar : This doesn't look like a tar archive
> pax: test.tar : Skipping to next file...
> pax: checksum error on header record : CE/9j^G:ly4O
> pax: test.tar : Skipping to next file...

Hmm, well that's not giving me any ideas. It should look like:

  nulls{490 approx)>./hosts~
  (more nulls)0000644^@0000399^@000020^@00000025463^@11426076256^@011677^

so sure enough those strings don't look like fields in a header
record. Sill question if you run pax in verbose mode, is there
something unusual about the files that occur before these errors: >2gb
or 4 gb in size ...?

As you can tell I am running out of ideas.

--
                                -- rouilj

John Rouillard       System Administrator
Renesys Corporation  603-244-9084 (cell)  603-643-9300 x 111