BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_tarCreate Problem

2010-08-11 13:36:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_tarCreate Problem
From: John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 17:33:50 +0000
On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 10:23:59AM -0500, Stephen Gelman wrote:
> I am running BackupPC 3.1.0 on Nexenta.  It seems to be working for the
> most part.  I am having a problem with BackupPC_tarCreate.  I am trying
> to create a tar of a 30gb backup.  The tar I create ends up being 30gb,
> but when extracted it only takes up 5gb and is missing a lot of files.
> I can restore the missing files using the web interface, so I know that
> they are being backed up and that BackupPC has permission to access
> them.  Does anyone have any idea what's going on?  The only clue I have
> is that I repeatedly get "tar: Skipping to next header" when untaring
> the file.

Which tar are you using to do the restore: native solaris /usr/bin/tar
(or /usr/sbin/static/tar), gnu tar, pax? How are you supplying the 30
GB file to the restoring tar, stdin as a file on the command line ...?

Do you have any compression in the picture? Also are you moving
between architectures or little to big endian machines?

--
                                -- rouilj

John Rouillard       System Administrator
Renesys Corporation  603-244-9084 (cell)  603-643-9300 x 111