BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] nmblookup = good; ping = enemy

2010-07-28 11:00:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] nmblookup = good; ping = enemy
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 09:58:20 -0500
On 7/28/2010 9:06 AM, Frank J. Gómez wrote:
> /etc/resolv.conf contains:
>
> nameserver 10.10.10.60
> nameserver 10.10.10.1

Why don't you add a 'search' directive to qualify a bare hostname into
your (real or made-up) domain to keep it in your own namespace?

> .60 is my internal DNS, and .1 is the router.
>

> On ".60" I've got:
>
>          forwarders {
>                  71.252.0.12;
>                  71.242.0.12;
>          };
> in /etc/bind/named.conf.options.  Those are Verizon's DNS servers.  My
> internal DNS server contains records for a few in-house servers; when
> .60 receives a request for a domain it doesn't know about, it passes the
> request along to Verizon.
>
> The bad DNS records are coming from Verizon; check it:
>
> $ dig @71.252.0.12 <http://71.252.0.12> vostro1400 ANY
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.4.1-P1.1 <<>> @71.252.0.12 <http://71.252.0.12> vostro1400 ANY
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; global options:  printcmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;vostro1400. IN ANY
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> vostro1400. 0 IN A 8.15.7.117
> vostro1400. 0 IN A 63.251.179.13

That seems wrong - but so does qualifying the name with a terminating
'.' in DNS.  The other way to avoid the problem would to remove the
forwarders from your dns server and let them do the job right.