BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] nmblookup = good; ping = enemy

2010-07-27 18:53:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] nmblookup = good; ping = enemy
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 17:47:08 -0500
On 7/27/2010 5:36 PM, Frank J. Gómez wrote:

> *With DHCP set to 1:*
>
> $ ./BackupPC_dump -v -f vostro1400
> cmdSystemOrEval: about to system /bin/ping -c 1 vostro1400
> cmdSystemOrEval: finished: got output PING vostro1400 (8.15.7.117)
> 56(84) bytes of data.
>
> It seems that, regardless of how the DHCP flag is set, BackupPC is going
> to ping the hostname.  In that case, why bother with nmblookup at all?
>   Where is the result of nmblookup used?  I don't understand.

Hmmm, maybe it tries DNS and only uses nmblookup if it fails.  Is there
some reason your DNS is returning the wrong IP here instead of failing?
  What 'search' domains do you have in /etc/resolv.conf where it must be
finding a match?

You could just replace the ping command with something that would always
succeed, but then timeouts would be slow when hosts were down.