BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Boxes with multiple names

2010-07-07 12:28:03
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Boxes with multiple names
From: Mark Potter <potter2769 AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 12:26:09 -0400
Situation:

I have BackupPC set up and backup up several Windows boxes on a local network.  However, a few of the boxes are dual boot between different versions of Windows, typically Windows XP and Vista.  Because we have a Windows domain controller these boxes are known by different names when booted under the different OSs (e.g. cfinley01 when running Vista and cfinley02 when running XP).  Currently I have these two different names setup in BackupPC as different hosts.  These configurations are in effect backup up the same things (i.e. In Vista or in XP, C$/Users and D$/Documents and Settings are both getting backed up).

Issues with this setup:
  • More backups than are required are being held on to.  (e.g. With the typical FullKeepCnt=1 and IncrKeepCnt=6, there could be up to 4 full and 12 incremental backups being held on to for such a dual named box.)
  • "no recent backups" email are sent out for boxes that have been backed up recently under the other name.

Question:

Is there a better way to configure boxes that are known by multiple names to minimize these issues?