BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Boxes with multiple names

2010-07-07 12:56:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Boxes with multiple names
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 11:54:50 -0500
On 7/7/2010 11:26 AM, Mark Potter wrote:
> Situation:
>
> I have BackupPC set up and backup up several Windows boxes on a local
> network.  However, a few of the boxes are dual boot between different
> versions of Windows, typically Windows XP and Vista.  Because we have a
> Windows domain controller these boxes are known by different names when
> booted under the different OSs (e.g. cfinley01 when running Vista and
> cfinley02 when running XP).  Currently I have these two different names
> setup in BackupPC as different hosts.  These configurations are in
> effect backup up the same things (i.e. In Vista or in XP, C$/Users and
> D$/Documents and Settings are both getting backed up).
>
> Issues with this setup:
>
>     * More backups than are required are being held on to.  (e.g. With
>       the typical FullKeepCnt=1 and IncrKeepCnt=6, there could be up to
>       4 full and 12 incremental backups being held on to for such a dual
>       named box.)
>     * "no recent backups" email are sent out for boxes that have been
>       backed up recently under the other name.
>

> Question:
>
> Is there a better way to configure boxes that are known by multiple
> names to minimize these issues?

I wouldn't worry about extra copies on the server.  Remember that with
the way pooling works you only have one actual copy of any file and all
other instances are links to it.

If they share a static IP address, you might just use one of the host
names and set ClientAlias to the IP address so you'll hit the right box
regardless of which way it is booted.  But, if you are backing up any of
the system areas you'll keep switching the instances in your backups.