BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] SMB limitations?

2010-07-07 09:16:02
Subject: [BackupPC-users] SMB limitations?
From: Jim Kyle <jim AT jimkyle DOT com>
To: backuppc-users <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 08:13:59 -0500
Hello group,

I'm running into problems of incomplete backups for my SOHO LAN, which has
four boxes running Xubuntu 8.04.4 and five VMs on one of them that run
either WinXP Pro or Win2K Pro. The main problem is that some of the
critical directories on the VMs (such as "Program Files" and the Windows
and system directories with all the configuration information) don't
transfer their files to the backup server (which is, of course, on one of
the Linux boxes). I'm sure that it's because the versions of Samba that I
run, which are the latest in Ubuntu's repositories, are denied access to
"system" files in Windows machines, leaving me with empty directories in
the backup. This leaves the question: How can I obtain full backups of
these VMs?

A possibly related problem is that sometimes new files that have been added
to a machine are not found by a subsequent incremental backup. For
instance, last night I added some 50 photo images to a directory in one of
the VMs, and when done, manually ran an incremental backup of that system
for safekeeping. Less than a dozen of the files were transferred! This
omission also seems to happen at random for the non-VM systems also.

I'm quite new to backuppc and may well have mixed up my configurations, so
if it's something I've misconfigured that would be nice to know. The full
set of *.pl files is a bit large to post on the list but I'll be happy to
provide any applicable excerpts from them on request.

Thanks for all advice!

--
Jim Kyle
mailto:jim AT jimkyle DOT com